This Site is an information and communication source for members of the Camp Howze MVPA. We are a likeminded group of Living History participants and Military Vehicle enthusiasts.
We strive to preserve and restore a part of history through military vehicles. We enjoy displaying our vehicles and being involved in the public as they experience these pieces that we worked so hard to restore. We are a structured 501(c)4 non-profit club dedicated and focused on the collection, restoration, display and operation of our military vehicles, equipment and gear.
Pat & Kims Jeep with "Spirit of Hondo" in Brady TX 2014
Check us out on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/camphowzemvpa
Our Chapter Official Meeting Place is The Woolf Den in Gainesville, TX. They have a great meeting room with Large TV, plenty of room, and Great Food. Located at 1901 W California Street and phone is 940-665-9653.
Our geographical location is centered around the Gainesville, Texas, Camp Howze area. Here is some history on Camp Howze; which was a WWII Army Training Camp, in which we have based our association around.
As the army and the rest of the United States prepared to enter World War II, the active posts of the United States Army were inadequate for training the numbers of draftees necessary to fill the army's wartime ranks. Several infantry replacement training centers were constructed, particularly in Texas, to accommodate the large number of new soldiers. Camp Howze was one such camp, and development began in December 1941. By 1942, trainees began arriving by train and bus from all over the country and the population of both Camp Howze and Gainesville quickly increased.
The first commander was Major General John H. Hilldring. With a capacity of 39,963 soldiers, the camp was one of the largest training centers in the country. It was responsible for the preparation of several hundred thousand soldiers for both the European and Pacific campaigns. Divisions that were trained at Camp Howze included the 84th, 86th, and 103rd Divisions of the U.S. Army. The camp also housed as many as 3000 Prisoners of War including Italian artist Alberto Burri.
As World War II waned, the post was declared excess and closed in 1946.
We encourage and welcome you to our group. Members of our group predominately have a restored vehicle, restoring a vehicle, or participates in living history events, or is generally interested in the preservation of our military history. But none of the above are required to participate.
Although many of our members have restored vehicles in the WWII era, all military vehicles from any era are equally welcome.
We provide a positive and educational environment for the membership to exchange ideas and live history together
As a group we educate the public on the preservation of these military vehicles
At any opportunity to display, teach, or participate in events that further the preservation of historical military vehicles
Represent our club in a positive manner at all public events
Provide vehicles and personnel for Parades, Living History Events, Reenactments, and Supporting Veterans and Military alike
Maintain a structure utilizing officers to oversee and collecting dues to progress the activities forward within the group
2 Tim 2:3
Thou therfore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.